Hey West House! This is Mo and I’m going to be your guy’s scribe for the week. I hope you guys had a great weekend and are ready for Schiller’s quiz. As Mrs. Edwards has previously stated just a few days ago this post is going to be different. I do not have my own assignment planned for you guys but instead, Yearbook has asked for assistance in collecting all of our senior quotes so they can be properly archived and organized in an efficient manner. All you guys have to do is provide what is stated below:
Full name – first and last
Senior quote – 100 characters maximum including citation if provided
Senior project topic
Here is an example for you guys to reference, this is my quote and information, I wish the quote can have more characters because there are a few more friends I would want to include but I suppose it isn’t possible with the given space in the yearbook, unfortunately. However, here is how it should look template style-wise.
“Anaya, Daly, Topher, Malcolm, Millie, Camryn, Nick, Aleena, Maheen. They made Ipoly worth it.”
Smartphone Innovation and Technology
So if you guys can go in the comments to put your info formatted like that, that would be perfect. Have a great day everyone!
Rotation 1- Anaya
-CNN 10 as always
-We then dove into more of “Catch Me If You Can” to learn about fraud.
Rotation 2- Schiller
– QUIZ was moved to next Wednesday our 1st block of science next week
-We went over the Structure of the Eye nearpod that Schiller presented.
Rotation 3- Edwards
- SSW is now a year long assignment to give time to more people to do the three types of essays. (Narrative, persuasive, and informative.) Make sure you know how each one is structured and written that is what Edwards is grading you off of.
- Remember that your payment of $80 for grad night is due January 31, as well as your $100 payment for prom that is due February 23.
- Make sure to take your picture for the yearbook with Jack. 40 people still have not taken the picture. Make sure to do this or else you will have an awkward looking photo in the yearbook according to our yearbook reps. Please check yesterday’s blog post for more info on that.
- Check yesterdays blog post for info on extra credit and other information!
- We finished up our response and analyzation of the essay and the poem with the analyze the text questions on 212. We had some great answer that really opened up the mind to other ways of thinking, so good job guys!
- We then started a next activity to help us understand the creation of a good EQ. To do this we stayed in our groups from the previous two rotations and each group got a big piece of paper and colored markers. We then wrote keywords, pictures, and phrases on them that related to the title that was on the piece of paper. Each title had to do with a type of media that we viewed throughout the middle ages unit. REMEMBER ONLY TWO SOURCES THAT WE USED ARE FROM THE MIDDLE AGES. THEY ARE THE INTRO TO THE MIDDLE AGES READING AND CANTERBURY TALES. All other media was modern times not the middle ages, and please do not use the wrong time period in your essay, Edwards say it result in a zero.
- After we finished this activity we found out that we will be doing a group essay, and there will be two grades one for the overall essay and then an individual grade for your piece that you wrote. So be ready to write a great essay to get a good grade as one of the first in your next semester grade book.
Joke of the Day:
I said to my teacher, “I don’t think I deserved zero for this exam.
She said, “I agree, but I couldn’t give you any less.”
First Rotation- Schiller
-Today in class we did the eye dissection and learned about the structures in the eye.
-We also got a worksheet assigned that most of us completed in class in the chance you did not complete it be aware that it is due tomorrow
Second Rotation- Edwards
- Semester ends January 19th, 2018 and Edwards has closed her grade book to new grades. Only things that are considered for input into the grade book are extra credit and grade discrepancies both of these have to be completed by 1/12/18
- Writing Workshop and essay grade are postponed until next semester grades, so these will be your first grades in your new semester grades so work diligently on them to get a good grade.
- The extra credit average is still 5 tally marks, remember this is only for a one percent bump, for a two percent bump you must have 6 or more tally marks.
- When the new semester starts your grade resets back to 100% as well as extra credit tally marks go back to 0.
- If you have not signed up for scribe duty please do so or you will receive a zero for that week. After all scribe duties are filled there will be some still left so if you would like 3 tally marks for a weeks worth of scribe duty please sign up.
- Target 100 is now Thinnes component so any questions are to be directed to her and remember you must have a total of 40 points by January 25th, 2018.
- If you have not taken your yearbook photo in the cap and gown please do so before January 21st, 2018. Jack is available at his studio in Upland between 11am-3pm no appointment needed. Google CBC Photography for the address as well as contact information.
– Comprehension and Analyzation of the essay and poem
- Today in class we were split into group of six and we each were assigned a question regarding either the essay or poem. We then had a group discussion as a class to talk about each of these pieces of text. Edwards then dove into the analyzation part of the lesson and she gave us each a question under the “Analyze the Text” section on page 212. Be prepared to answer this in another group discussion tomorrow.
Rotation 3- Thinnes
-We finished the movie today in class. ( The Man Who Knew Infinity)
-We then watched Donald Duck In Mathmagic Land to finish out class.
-We also had a little surprise knowledge tester that can not hurt you, as it will only help you 🙂
Joke of the Day
A girl asks a boy: “Peter, how much do you love me?”
The boy looks her in the eyes, “Look up at the stars, that’s how much I love you.”
The girl is confused, “But it’s morning, there are no stars?”
Boy nods, “Exactly!”
Rotation 1 Anaya
- We watched CNN 10 to start it off
- Went over a propaganda presentation to learn mainly how the government uses it to fund money and supplies for war efforts
- We watched a YouTube video showing different commercials and advertisements that get the audience interested in the products.
- We also went over our stock market simulation and told to buy anything using all your money (if you haven’t already)
- We were also told to pick an item to advertise in our stock market groups this has to be finalized tomorrow for second rotation.
Rotation 2 Schiller
- We took a quick survey for Schiller to understand how we feel about the class for example: what you liked and what you didn’t.
- Then to start our senses chapter we watched a very informative video on how the eyes work and the history of how eyes evolved throughout time from the earliest of dinosaurs to the present time.
- Then we had about 10 minutes of free time at the end of class to talk about the video and share about our awesome winter breaks.
Rotation 3 Edwards
- We Started off with Sustained Silent Reading (SSR). January will be a regular month for SSR so make sure you are reading your booking to gain your points for the month.
- House keeping- The extra credit average is now at 5 tally marks currently. This number is rumored to go up because of other extra credit opportunities such as free rice and book reviews + donations of puff tissues and black expo markers. Remember that to gain one percent of extra credit you must make the average number of tally marks so currently 5, but in order to to gain 2 percent you must get 6 or more.
- We also read a quote on the board that is talking about understand the text we are reading and really understanding the material not just glancing over it.
“Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider. Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.”
- We also did an activity called “Gathering More Evidence”. We read pages 198-210 in our My Perspectives book. We then were required to have completed the comp. check on pg. 211 for the essay by the end of class. Make sure you complete the comp. check on the same page for the poem, as well as Conventions on pg. 214 #1-3
Joke of the Day: Why does chicken coupe only have two doors?……..because if it had four it would be a chicken sedan!
Hello West House it’s Topher and I will be your scribe for the week. My article is more of a somber one having to do with the death of an off-duty San Bernardino Sheriff’s Deputy. I choose to do this since law enforcement is something I want to eventually find a career in, and this is just an example of how the people you encounter while on-duty can come back while you are just trying to enjoy life off-duty. Larry Falce was a 36 year veteran of the department, and was involved in a minor traffic accident on New Year’s Eve while trying to avoid a dog in the roadway. While trying to exchange info with the other party a two strike felon by the name of Alonzo Smith punched Falce in the face and knocked him to the ground where Falce hit his head which eventually took his life. Alonzo Smith fled the scene and was apprehended a short time later.
Prompt: Do you think that the fact that they had a prior relationship while Falce was on duty should be taken into account in the courtroom? Also as two strike felon should Smith be locked away for the rest of his life with out the chance of parole or do you believe other punishment should be allowed? How safe do you feel just walking your neighborhood street, and what can we do to keep dangerous members of society off the streets?
Three Strike Law- http://ca-criminal-defense.com/california-three-strikes-law/
News Article- http://ktla.com/2018/01/03/man-charged-with-murder-in-attack-of-70-year-old-off-duty-patrolman-in-san-bernardino/
Video of Attack (WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFRJDgMnzvA
Charges of Alonzo Smith
Hey guys! I hope you all did great on your lesson plans and are ready to enjoy winter break. Hope you all have a good break and refreshed when school starts again. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!!
➡️ DON’T FORGET ⬅️
Extra Credit Opportunities
- SCHILLER – 750 word essay on a neuroscientist or neuroscience topic turned in on Turnitin on January 12th @ midnight (11:59 PM) (10 points)
- EDWARDS – You can always do FREE RICE, complete a BOOKMARK REVIEW and then donate the book to Mrs. Edawrds’ class and/or visit LIBRIVOX (all on the right side of the blog) (max 2% increase)
- THINNES – MathXL EC (not sure how many points)
Hey guys! Hope you all did great on Thinnes’s test today but here is a summary of what we did today.
- Collected homework (or homework passes) for Assignment #17.
- Took Chapter 1 Test.
- Went to the house you are presenting your lesson plan to.
- Basically, a work block to finish up lesson and add any finishing details.
➡️ DON’T FORGET ⬅️
- Bring all the supplies you need for your lesson presentations and good luck and don’t stress guys! You guys got this!!