Good afternoon West House. For this week’s blog assignment, I’d like to bring up a huge problem we face in our society. Fake news.
For as long as we have used it, the internet has been a constant flow of new information, rapidly consumed by the masses each day. This digital age that we have evolved towards has increased the rate of consumption of media and changed the way we perceive it. Aside from all the advantages that this produces, it also comes with some disadvantages as well.
These disadvantages that I’m talking about is the widespread plague of misinformation through media, articles, and videos. Though many have expressed concern over this growing problem, it has all fallen on deaf ears, and no one has done anything about it, up until recently.
News sites all around the world have grown greedier and greedier when it comes to views for profit. Thus, the growing epidemic of people resorting to Clickbait to increase the chances of someone clicking onto their website to gain more revenue.
Now, here is an article about fake news, and how to keep yourself protected: http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/12/05/503581220/fake-or-real-how-to-self-check-the-news-and-get-the-facts
Here is an article about Google and Facebook taking arms against fake news: https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2016/11/15/google-and-facebook-taking-aim-stories-fake-news-sites/1LFt4MyLRJGIcB4qI0YEJM/story.html
Here are a couple of questions to consider thinking about when you writing up your response. Only choose one and their respective follow-up questions.
• Have you ever fallen victim to a fake news article or video before?
- If you’ve realized your mistake, did you catch it in time before sharing it on social media?
- If it was a school project or research paper, did you fix it before turning it in? How have you learned from this mistake?
• In what ways does this impact our society and the people around us?
- Do you think this might have turned the tide of this year’s election through the rampant flood of (mis)information on both candidates?
- What about business/celebrities/products etc? You can choose to talk about either (#1 and about the election, or #2 and about people/products)
• How important is it for company to stand up against fake media by doing something about it?
- Talk about the influence/impact companies like Facebook and Google have when taking arms against fake news.
• In what ways can we prevent fake news from spreading again in the future?
- What can the common individual do to protect themselves from this wave of misinformation? What can companies and news sites do as an alternative to make revenue if they can no longer rely on clickbait for clicks?